Monday, January 9, 2012

Everybody Poops

Everybody poops right?
OF COURSE THEY DO
At what age to we stop talking about poop? I mean, when you're born your mom talks about your poop all the time, heck your momma probably cheered for your poop...somewhere around the 22 month mark,  the word poop becomes taboo in conversation.

If you're anything like my family, scatological humor sneaks in to dinner conversation (or sneaks out as it were) sometimes and rather than chastise, I play along and heck, we have happy dinners.

Perhaps THAT's what made me less afraid to talk about poop when it came to my symptoms. My poop was the one thing doctors just couldn't "fix" when they tried their barrage of treatments for my symptoms. "Maybe that's your normal," they'd say.
AHEM
IF YOUR POOP AIN'T NORMAL, YOUR BODY IS TRYING TO TELL YOU SOMETHING.

Back to our regularly scheduled font.
So its come as no suprise to me these past few months that poop is a common theme in other people's symptoms too. People close to me, WHO KNOW ABOUT MY POOP...  and they never thought to ask if gluten could be an issue.

I declare 2012 TALK ABOUT YOUR POOP year.
If everybody does it, then it's not weird right
who knows...you may just learn something
maybe you'll learn too much...and I apologize for that...but on the premise of "erring on the side of WOO HOO I had a good poop"...I say talk about it and just do your best to forget the mental images that don't serve you.

Honestly
If you've been living with abnormal poop
this may be diarrhea, this may be funky color, foul odor, weird consistency, texture, timing...whatever doesn't fall into an eat - poop cycle...then start talking about it.

The stool should be one, long smooth evacuation if the colon is not spastic, impacted, constipated or dehydrated. Each bowel movement should be in one piece, about the shape of a well-formed log, tapered at the end. Some websites say it should be of the size of a banana. From my experience, the product of a good, cleansing bowel movement is much longer, almost as long as two bananas end by end. This makes perfect sense because the stool should be an exact replica of the internal space of your colon.

You can talk to me about it...I'll keep it quiet email me.
talk to your doctor about it
talk to your walking buddy about it, your co workers, your spouse, your best friend
talk about poop

it's important
and it could just change the way you feel!

No comments: