Tuesday, April 10, 2012

You gotta start somewhere

The next step in the evolution of Babs (that's me) is a diet that is nutrient rich and is 90% plant-based. You can read more why, here.

But here, on the GF blog, I'll chronicle my journey by means of a weekly menu and maybe even a shopping list :)

While a plant-based diet isn't necessarily GF, for this girl, it has to be so feel free to tweak as your needs dictate.

I've already started my transition and I'm keeping copious notes for next week's post but for now, it's fair that you understand my starting point, and how I'll compute my percentages.

I'm not a statistician nor is this a funded project (darn). I'm soley going about this for personal reasons that feel right physically, mentally and even spiritually so whether I eventually wind up vegan, or I may hover at the 85% mark it's my lotus to open.

By my rough estimation, my diet is currently 60 - 70% plant based.
We already juice and make vegetable/fruit smoothies 5 of 7 mornings a week
I get my essentials from Mila*, a plant based, raw, whole food.
The whole family eats intentionally vegetarian 3 to 4 times a month (I shoot for one dinner a week)

Below is the recipe I use for our morning smoothies. (for 2 servings)

Put all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth:

2 c Juice  (We juice 2x a week: carrots, apples, celery...sometimes cucumbers)
2 c Coconut Water
2 scoops Mila
1 TBSP almond butter
1 c greens (I typically used mixed spring greens or baby spinach)
6 or 7 whole, frozen strawberries
1 1/3 c frozen berries (blackberries, blueberries or raspberries)

*full disclosure, I am an independent distributor of Mila, but only became one after I experienced the benefits!

No comments: