Thursday, April 14, 2011

Curried Sea Scallops

If you've ever watched Hell's Kitchen you understand the apprehension I had in tackling scallops! They can be RAW or Rubbery...either way you wind up being called a donkey!
Yes, that is what I heard in my head last night as I unwrapped the scallops I had planned for dinner... this could be very good, or this could be very bad...

About a year or so ago I developed a craving for curry. I had never cared for it before, actually detested the smell and the taste but now I can't seem to get enough of it...that craving pushed my past my scallop fears!
The important part to this recipe is following the cooking instructions for the scallops. 2 minutes on each side then 3 minutes in the sauce. Too little time...RAW! Too much time...RUBBERY!
Don't be a donkey!
Take your time...2 minutes per side can FEEL like forever, but it's worth your patience :)


This is just before the final phase, don't try cooking the scallops all at one time! They need their room.
 This dish is just right for those wanting to try out curry before commiting to it. For those of you, like me, who have a CRAVING for it, keep your shaker on the side and add some to your plate! It's a nice fresh tasting meal another great spring/summer dinner. We paired ours with Lundberg Wild Rice and some fresh spinach simmered in 1/4 cup of fat free chicken broth (Progesso is GF) until wilted. (p.s. all Lundberg rice products are Gluten Free so mix it up a little and try some new flavors!)

TIME ALERT (yes other than the scallops)
If you're going to take my suggestion and go for the Wild Rice, it takes 50 - 55 minutes to cook...so start it early!

Ingredients:
2/3 cups fat free, reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup fat free half and half
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice (I wedged my lemons, used the juice from 3 wedges then made lemonade with the rest!)
3/4 tsp curry powder (more to taste)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper (don't let me fool you...I NEVER measure salt or pepper...just grind it in there!)
1 1/4 lbs scallps
4 tsp gluten free flour. I used Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo Fava Flour
1 spray of cooking spray
2 tsp olive oil, divided
2 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
2 Tbsp fresh scallions thinly sliced

Instructions
Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl; stir well and set aside

Pat scallops dry to remove excess water
Lightly coat scallops with flour (next time, I'll add some curry powder to this step)
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, add 1 tsp of oil
Place over medium-high heat
Once pan is hot, add half of scallops; cook 2 minutes on each side.
Remove scallops and set aside, repeat with other half of scallops and remaining oil.

Return all scallops to pan and add broth mixture
Bring to a boil, cook until sauce begins to thicken, about 3 minutes.
Ta Da!
Sprinkle with parsley and scallions and serve!

Serves 4 generous portions

No comments: