Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"Mom's" Tuna Casserole

This was fan-dang-tastic
I've made it before with tinkyada pasta shells but this week was a "cook what you have in the cabinet" week  so I used up the Lundberg wild rice from the scallop recipe last week.

This is sorta kinda my mom's recipe. I don't think it exists anywhere in writing so it's how I remember my mom putting it together as I watched from atop the butcher block when I was a kid. I've made it a bit "healthier" by using fat free/lowfat ingredients without compromising taste. My fam ATE IT UP

1 cup uncooked wild rice
1 8oz package sliced mushrooms (we always go portabello)
1 can Progresso Creamy Mushroom soup or Amy's Organic Cream of Mushroom soup (both are gluten free)
1 package frozen peas
1 8oz package fat free shredded cheese
2 4.5 oz cans solid white tuna
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook the rice according to package instructions **if using Lundberg, the cook time is 55 minutes so start the rice early**
Add all ingredients to rice in a large mixing bowl and stir until mixed well. Remember, this soup is NOT condensed so you do not need to add any milk or water.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
I sprinkled a smidge of shredded monterey jack cheese over the top during the last 10 minutes of cooking.

Mom used to add buttered bread crumbs to the top of this which made a fantastic "crust" but probably added a gajillion calories and I really didn't miss them in this final version!

Super duper tasty!
Replace the peas with broccoli and the tuna with chicken for a nice variation!

No comments: