Monday, April 11, 2011

New Season, New Pasta, GREAT Recipe!

Warmer weather is definitely here down South, we hit 90 degrees today...so much for spring!
This week I intentionally planned meals that were didn't require a lot of effort in the kitchen!
Yesterday it was BLT sammies on that great UDI Bread I've mentioned before.

Tonight...Lemon Pasta with Asparagus!

My local grocer had a new brand of GF pasta on sale so I grabbed a bag a few weeks ago and this recipe was the perfect opportunity to try it.
The Heartland Gluten Free Penne was super tasty and like their website claims, "your family will never be able to tell it's gluten free!" The directions call for boiling it 11 to 13 minutes but I think it could've gone 14 with no problems as 13 left it a bit more on the firmer side of al dente.

This recipe is a fantastic spring/summer dinner and I imagine would be delish chilled (I'll have to imagine because there are NO leftovers!)

The recipe serves 6
(the picture is an "after I'd already had a few bites... you know how bad I am at remembering to take pics! servings are definitely generous size)

1 package of GF pasta
2/3 Tbsp Butter
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 c gf chicken broth (we use progresso)
1 large egg
1/3 c grated parmesean cheese
3 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 1/2 tsp lemon zest (one lemon is the perfect amount for zest and juice)
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1/4 cup of fresh chopped parsley (we used parsley and cilantro...a-mmmmmmmm-azing fresh taste!)

Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside in colander
Add butter and olive oil to the pasta pot, melt
Add broth and heat through 1 minute

Remove pot from the heat
Return pasta to the pan, add egg and cheese and toss to coat
Add lemon juice and zest, toss to coat
Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dress with parsley/cilantro

I also sauteed 1 lb of fresh asparagus on low heat in 2 tsp of olive oil and 1/4 c of water and added it to the pasta in the final step. This would also be wondeful paired with a nice white fish or with some chicken breast added to the pasta.

I'll definitely be making it again ...the fam LOVED it!

No comments: