Friday, April 29, 2011

Sometimes the BEST things are Naturally Gluten Free

If you've read my Product Review tab, you've read my opinion that the increase of Gluten intolerance,sensitivities and Celiac are directly related to the exponential rise in dependence on processed food.

Sounds about right...
And if you've clicked through the offerings on my website,
you're probably wondering where the non-processed food reviews are hiding.
I apologize
Please forgive me
How could you deny those puppy dog eyes...

I'm guilty of firing off a quick post when I find something quick and easy
get it...quick = quick
But this isn't my every day

After visiting Linda's Gluten Free Wednesday, I called to mind all the things I eat every day...that everyone else in my house eats every day too, and I'm the only one with an intolerance
Why?
Because there's tons of great food out there that is just naturally Gluten Free.
Now mind you, there are some simple changes that may need to be made to your staples and spices (like the soy sauce in this recipe), but for the most part you should be able to create your meals without a single package or container that screams "GLUTEN FREE" somewhere on the label.

So my promise to my readers?
I'll tell you more about what I eat day to day, not just the neat things I stumble upon once in a while.
Day to day...yeah...that's more like REAL Gluten Free Living!

So here's what we had for dinner Wednesday night
Sweet Crusted White Shark with Asparagus

We've never had shark before and it was on sale at the fish counter so I decided to give it a try.
The texture is really nice and would hold up perfectly in a grilled kabob. The flavor is much like a scallop or crab/lobster. Semi sweet, not too fishy.
I was concerned that the glaze might be too sweet but it was just perfect.
The asparagus was a bit "mushy" for my taste...but I get out-voted when it comes to asparagus cooking times in my house :)


2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP brown sugar
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
2 tsp fresh green onions, chopped
1 tsp soy sauce (be sure to choose a Gluten Free brand)
1 TBSP fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 LB Fish

Mix all the ingredients except the fish in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves.
Baste the fish with the glaze and place under the broiler turning every 4 to 5 minutes until fish is completely cooked (cooking times will depend on the fish you use)

Things we learned about shark
  1. YUM we love it!
  2. Shark steaks are typically very thick, we will filet them into thinner steaks next time
  3. Folks who do not care for fish will LOVE this fish

No comments: