Monday, January 17, 2011

French Fried Onions: Recipe

Holiday meals have been some of the hardest for me during my first few years living GF. Cooking everyday meals for your immediate family is one thing, but holidays typically bring extended family, friends and foods that are traditionally non-GF. Ask someone to change their recipe and WHOA you could turn the entire month upside down!

My hub is great about these kinds of events. If the host or hostess isn't willing to make a concession, we just bring our own GF fare and HE eats it with me; even with a big basket of dinner rolls wafting under his nose!

Thanksgiving is a biggie: Stuffing, Casseroles, Rolls and yes, even your turkey could have some hidden gluten.If you are new to the gluten-free diet, you may not realize that there could be gluten in the frozen turkeys at the grocery store. It is not always clearly marked. I looked at one this week that said it had turkey broth in it. I didn’t do any further research into it, but I’m guessing it had gluten in it. So I passed it up and went for the turkey that clearly said it was gluten-free on the label.

In years past we've gone alternative and created our own holiday traditions but you know....eventually you're gonna want a bite of Green Bean Casserole!
At the Popoff Place we don't save giving thanks for November, we do it up several times a year and while yesterday's turkey was roasting, I attempted some homemade french fried onions.
*I hear there are some gluten-free pre-packaged ones available through Seneca, but my local grocer doesn't carry them and I had all the ingredients on hand.
homemade GF french fried onions


2 medium onions sliced thin (this was enough for the top of our casserole)

enough milk to cover sliced onions in a pre-soak wash

GF flour mix: I used 
1/2 c white rice flour
1/2 c brown rice flour
1/2 c garbanzo/fava bean flour
salt and pepper to taste.

Place all dry ingredients into large ziploc bac and shake to mix well.

Soak thinly sliced onions in milk wash.
Shake small batches of soaked onions in the flour mixture and fry in light vegetable oil until light brown. Be sure to do small batches at a time so the onions cook evenly.

*What I learned*
If using as a topping for a baked casserole, fry onions until they are a tad lighter than what you would like them as they will bake up darker in the oven.

Take a picture of said casserole before the family eats it! :)
I'l get one next time!

No comments: