Monday, January 24, 2011

Get Me a Lil' Country Fried


My hub's 2nd plate (forgot to snap a pic of the pretty first serving...forgive the gravy smudge!)

Every once in a while you just gotta break down and get a lil' country fried. It has been a LONG while since we've done that in our household...breading AND gravy??? UM yeah, a gluten-intolerant's nightmare...NO MORE :)
I must admit I was extremely wary of trying this recipe. We've had several botched attempts at fried chicken, biscuits that are better served as hockey pucks and gravy that has tasted like wallpaper paste (don't ask me how I know that)...but my grocer had a great deal on some pork patties *yeah I know it's supposed to be country fried steak or chicken...but in the country, you fry what you got...or what you got on sale!

This turned out GREAT. I served it with GF mashed potatoes and steamed veggies and I made a side of mac and cheese for the rest of the family. *I DO have a great GF Mac and Cheese but I figured my hips were gonna take enough of a hit with the Country FRIED with GRAVY so I passed on that :)

As I said, I used ground pork but you can use whatever meat you prefer shaped or pounded to 1/4 inch thick
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 C rice flour (I used white rice flour)
1 C corn starch
1 Tbsp baking soda
Salt, Pepper to taste
2 eggs plus 1 egg white
1/2 c milk (next time I make this, I will use buttermilk)

Mix your dry ingredients in a large bowl
Mix eggs and milk in medium bowl
Dip each patty in the egg mixture then cover with flour mixture
Fry each side for 2 min
Place in oven to thoroughly cook through to the center while frying other patties.

Gravy:
3 cups of milk
1/4 c Corn starch
LOTS OF PEPPER
salt to taste

Mix 2 cups of milk with the salt and pepper on the stove until warm
In a separate cup, mix the remaining cup of milk and the corn starch until well blended.
Increase the heat and add the milk/cornstarch mixture to the milk on the stove and stir. BE SURE NOT TO LET THE MILK BOIL or it will scald (yuk!)
Continue stirring and let it simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Gravy will thicken upon standing.

I let the meat continue cooking in the oven for 10 minutes after frying to ensure doneness and it was perfect!
We'll add crumbled sausage to the gravy next time AND try out the new Gluten Free biscuit mix from Bisquick!




No comments: