Saturday, January 1, 2011

Namaste Foods Gluten Free Muffin Mix

We started the New Year right with Cran-Blueberry muffins made with Namaste Foods Gluten Free Muffin Mix.

I'll admit I was quite nervous about these. We've had horrible luck with biscuit mixes in the past with results that looked and tasted more like plaster pucks than anything remotely interesting for breakfast.

Nerves have been quelled! These muffins are fabulous. I stuck with the straightforward recipe on the package. I added 1 cup of blueberry juice infused dried cranberries to the batter and sprinkled the tops with stevia and cinnamon. The package directions call for a baking time of 12 - 15 minutes in a 400 degree oven. I baked them on the middle rack in two separate muffin pans lined with paper cups and they took a total of 18 minutes to bake.

Nine minutes into baking a peeked through the oven window and exclaimed, "They're poofing up!" This is a big deal with GF baked goods. As you can see from the picture above, they rose nicely and as my daughter would say, look like muffins inside and out. The package made 12 generously sized muffins that were moist and cakey not crumbly like some other baking debacles we've experienced.

The proof was in the tasting. I served them up warm with a dab of butter and they passed muster.
Next time we'll veer off the basic package directions and add some pure vanilla extract to the base mix, then they will be perfect.

I can see them mixing well with bananas and walnuts or dark chocolate chips and dried strawberries and there is a recipe for Lemmon Poppyseed Bread on the side of the package we'll definitely try.

At a price of $4.79 at my local grocery store, this is a mix we're sure to keep in the cupboard!

Try them and let me know what you think!

No comments: